Wednesday 10 June 2009

ppd portfolio evauation

The main focus of my portfolio is mainly print based projects as this is my key area of focus, it consists of a variety of vectorised artwork, type and illustrations as I want to show that I am a well rounded individual. I wanted to start of with the most recent piece of work I have produced so that potential work placements can see what I am currently producing. From this I start to show a steady development of work from the end of first year to my current point to help show designers how I have developed as an individual and designer. Beginning with a lot of work focusing on the creation of images through illustrator.
I don’t feel my work currently fits in with specific company’s design work but individually I feel I have produced pieces that have obvious connections and relations to other practitioners. Such as my pack illustrations are take a similar approach to the design work if Si Scott and SHCH, but I feel I have created something that has a different aspect to there designs more individual to myself. Also some of my poster design work, I can see a lot of Mike Place’s design style within in them. I still feel I need to 100% focus on a definitive style to develop so my design work doesn’t get confused but maintain good knowledge of other areas so I can also keep producing good work in those fields. However for this portfolio I feel it gives potential clients and work placements a good variety of what I am about.
I feel that I can engage with live briefs more and I have good concept ideas but I feel I could improve finished products by a lot and design pieces that really stand out and are both creative and unique. I also feel I am improving my standard of developmental and research work so I can get a clear understanding of where I am going with a brief instead of losing track with them. I feel my technical skills are very good especially in creating vector-based imagery but I would like to improve this so that I can touch up illustrations so that they are suitable for print.
As I progress I want to combine more illustration and type together and hopefully adapt a skill set that allows me to create designs that incorporate them both as one design such as the work of Alex Trochut. Who I think will be a big influence on my design work on the future. I will be looking to produce work that is finished to a similar quality in the third year. Along with this I hope to engage with more screen print as I feel it is and ideal tool for the work I am planning and wanting to produce in the future.
As for my dissertation I decided to develop my understanding of creative type and how it has developed over the last century looking at key moments which where affected by the improvements in technology and the creative design of the designers in that period. This will hopefully give me a chance to understand how pieces of work are created these days and in past years so I have a firm idea of how I can produce my own personal work. Also I hope within the research find out more about the design agencies I would like to work for and may even find one I didn’t know about that is perfect for my design practice.

No comments: